It is a shame that in a country where:
We passed the 13th amendment abolishing slavery,
We passed the 19th amendment giving women the right to vote,
We passed the Title IX Act giving women equality in education and collegiate sports,
We passed the Civil Rights Act and ended segregation,
We had a woman and a bi-racial man battle it out for the Democratic nomination for President,
We had a SECOND woman on the ticket for Vice-President,
It is a shame that ON THE VERY DAY we elect our first non-white President, ON THAT VERY DAY, we vote to take away the civil rights of another group.
Shame on California and every other state that has voted to deny me and my "family" across the country the rights to share in the very basic freedoms this country is supposed to offer. My hero Margaret Marshall, Chief Justice of the Massachusetts State Supreme Court, wrote the assenting opinion when Massachusetts legalized gay marriage in 2004. She basically said that the constitution provides that "all men are created equal" and that by man our forefathers meant "mankind" not just white men. The constitution also provided for a separation of church and state. If you want to make this about God and the Bible, fine. But keep it out of my right as a US citizen to be treated like everyone else
Whoopie Goldberg said yesterday that her faith in America has been restored and maybe she could unpack her bag now. Hold on Whoopie. If the rumors about you are true, I'd keep that bag packed baby! Our country has basically a-okayed the persecution of gays and lesbians everywhere.
And the saddest past of all...I could give a damn about me. I'm a big girl and I can take anything a M-F'ing bigot has to throw at me. It's the children I weep for. Mine and my "family's" and all the children in foster care who will be denied a good home with a loving family.
So don't unpack your bags yet my friends. And watch out for burning crosses in your yard. This is a sad, sad state of affairs.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I cried for hours last night. I did not stay to watch my daughter in tap class so I could stay home and cry where she couldn't see me.
I don't even know how to describe what I felt because even the words despair and hopelessness can't describe it. I do know that 2 hours of crying as hard as I have ever cried, could not get rid of it.
Just checking up on you sweetie! Hope you're doing okay!
Post a Comment