Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

I hate Mondays!

Especially after a nice weekend! We relaxed and hung out on Saturday. There was a big fight on HBO (DP loves boxing) so I had to go and get the fight snacks and we stayed up watching that! Sunday was the horrible brunch where my aunt made alot of side comments, clearly expressing her annoyance with the situation. She insisted on paying too, which bugged us, especially after the comments my mom made the other day. Aunt kept saying things like "you should sit so you can at least see your grandson" since we had to sit at a long table and DP and I were going to put the baby between us so we could feed him and keep him entertained. And Aunt kept insisting on refering to my mother as "grandma" when we clearly refer to her in the spanish "abuelita". Aunt also seemed put out that the baby didn't want anyone but his moms to hold him. Geesh - he's almost 2, he's at that age and since we never leave him with anyone, he's a little bit shy. Aunt was pissed too that we took off right after bruch. What did she expect? We clearly stated we would meet for brunch. We had other plans for the rest of the day. My brother surprised us and has been calling the baby by his spanish nickname which of course all of DP's family does. My family insists on calling him by his american birth name. They have no respect for his heritage or how we are choosing to raise him. Our son loves coffee - why I don't know except to say that it must be the Puerto Rican in him! So we give him a splash of DP's decaf (already diluted with milk and sugar) in his milk. He loves it! Well Aunt can't give any credit to the fact that although DP doesn't have that biological connection, they do share Puerto Rican genes...she right away had to comment that it couldn't be the Puerto Rican in him, it had to be because my whole family loved coffee flavored syrup in our milk when we were kids. Hate to break it to ya Aunt, but there's a big difference! My child drinks real coffee because he's Puerto Rican. He'd drink it black if we let him!

Gosh, I know we sound mean and cold, but if people could only understand what we've been through with this family. My dad was surprisingly quiet. He's gotten worse (Alzhiemers) and I know it won't be long before he forgets us.

We went to a fun place with the baby after brunch and had a nice family afternoon. We passed an ice skating center that we did not know about and now we might all get skates (I took lessons as a child - DP has NEVER been on skates) and go ice skating for another fun family event! I like ice skating better than roller skates so it should be fun. I think the baby is big enough for candle pin bowling now too so I'm going to find a place for us to go. He's so much fun now - it's a perfect age!

Work is work and it's a long way to Friday! I have class and meetings this week so at least I don't have to be in the office all day, everyday. It's nice to get around campus now and again! TE is notreally talking to me - guess they are not happy about all the problems I've been discovering.

I'm leaving early today for a meeting and then I have an errand to run for DP which I hope won't take too long so I can get home a bit early! I always miss my family a little bit extra on Mondays!

No comments: