Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I see gay people

I have training today at work with the GLBT center on campus to become an Ally. I will get a placard to hang outside my office letting people know that I will always provide a safe place for anyone who needs it - GLBT or otherwise. According to the GLBT website, we have 1200 faculty and staff that identify as GLBT. I know of 3 of us. It just goes to show you that we are everywhere - you just can't see us because we don't fit the predjudicial stereotypes society has labeled us with. We happen to be normal, every day people, plugging along and trying to achieve the american dream just like everyone else. We're your neighbor, your nurse, your fireman, the person who sits next to you in church or drops their child off at daycare the same time you do.

I'm becoming an Ally not because I have a chip on my shoulder or have something to prove. I want to be the role model I never had when I was in college. I want to show young people that you can be yourself and proud no matter who you are.

I'm very excited about this!

Work was stressful yesterday. More personnel issues. I had to discipline one of my employees - the troublesome one of course. We had a training in the morning that was attended by two employees, myself and my boss. When the training ended my boss and I came right back to the office. The employees showed up 40 minutes later! And then later in the day I found out that the same employee has made a pretty bad judgment error that is going to cause us to have to go back over several months worth of work to correct the errors. Well, not us, her! I'm going to make her fix it all once I come up with a solution! And all this because I'm supposed to empower her and I let her handle something on her own that I truly felt confident she could handle! It always comes back to bite me in the ass with this employee! And to make matters worse, the other manager in the office has not disciplined her employee for taking unauthorized time. My supervisor told her she had to, but it hasn't happened yet almost 24 hours later!

Ok off to training and will write more later!

No comments: